As you know, we celebrate life and being adventurous here at Wonderush. So you can imagine our outrage when we discovered that one in five of our members claim to not having one good friend! We decided that something has to be done.
When asked what contributed to their loneliness, a busy work schedule was cited as the main cause, with 65% stating they didn’t have the time to socialise as a result of their job. We all know that the City is a busy environment where work comes first; but guys, it’s affecting our health.
A recent study published by Heart discovered that loneliness and social isolation are linked to a 30% increased risk of having a stroke or developing coronary artery disease, the two leading causes of death for men and women. That’s when we knew something really had to be done.
With all of the information on hand, we decided that we could kill two birds with one stone (no birds were harmed in the writing of this blog) and create an initiative that would help you make friends and relieve your stressful work life. At least for one day.
‘Pull a Sickie, Make a Friend’ day would involve you, as it suggests, pulling a sickie. We know this is controversial but if you work through lunch, out of hours, and give 110% every day, don’t you think it’s time you let your hair down? Those happy to commit to a day off work on Friday 10th June can sign up to a full day of fun activities including stand-up comedy lessons, cooking, a laughter ‘play’ shop and more.
We promise you will have fun as well as making some new friends, so what do you have to lose? Simply enter your details below and if your place is confirmed you will receive an email with the top secret location. It really is top secret, so no bosses will be able to track you down!
If you need some help coming up with excuses, please feel free to use any of the ten listed below. They are tried and tested with a 100% success rate.
- I have contracted conjunctivitis which is highly contagious and must remain in quarantine until Monday.
- I ate at a very questionable seafood restaurant last night and seem to have gotten food poisoning from my shellfish risotto, it would both be unprofessional and disgusting if I were to come into work today.
- I twisted my ankle whilst trying to navigate the thousands of commuters on the Northern Line this morning and have subsequently been taken to A&E.
- I slipped in the shower whilst trying to exfoliate my back and have fractured my wrist. I cannot type or hold a pen for at least three days.
- I have been diagnosed with SADS disorder and have been prescribed either natural or artificial sunlight by my doctor for five hours today. I will of course wear sunscreen.
- My housemate (who has no phone) has taken my key and subsequently locked me in the flat, I cannot escape through the windows or the fire escape I am trapped until he/she returns tonight.
- I have a migraine that will no doubt keep me in a dark, quiet room for the whole day.
- I have contracted the flu and shall be holed up in my room with Kleenex, Vix and Lemsip for the whole weekend.
- I have contracted impetigo on my face, my doctor has advised to stay away from people because it spreads like leprosy.
- My pet iguana has died, I am in no emotional condition to be around anybody today.