It’s been one hell of a Summer. Now that it’s nearly over, though, we’ve come over all nostalgic, so we thought we’d take a look at some of the highlights.
OK, fine.”highlights” might be the wrong word. Maybe “Learning opportunities” is slightly more appropriate. There have been an awful lot of educational moments in the past couple of months:
- Just when it looks like the weather can’t get any grimmer, the weatherman will invent a thing called a ‘Spanish Plume’ and we’ll all bask in glorious sunshine for, like, 36 hours.
- Just when it looks like the mood of the entire world can’t get any grimmer, an app gets released that instantly becomes a craze and makes everybody forget all of the terrible events of a bleak year in a blaze of anime glory.
- High Street Kensington has a crazy number of Pokestops. That one might just be benefitting us, but it’s good for you all to know.
- The political climate of your entire country can be turned upside down, but you might just manage to muddle through.
- You can create an insane mess, and then quit your job if you want to avoid any consequences (this only works if you are a politician).
- English footballers are not great. Some people still seemed to think they were.
- A surprising number of people can find a tenuous link to some Welsh ancestry if they try hard enough.
- The olympics are brilliant, and we are all world experts on everything from BMX to high-diving, none of which we’ve ever tried. But that doesn’t stop us from calling someone’s slightly-splashy dive ‘shit’ even though we’d die if we had to show them how it’s done.
- Sometimes the internet trolls are wrong and new, all-female versions of old films are actually incredibly funny and just all-around great.
- Just when we thought Kanye West and Taylor Swift had no more feud left in them, they restored our faith in their ability to create gossip column inches and make us click on articles we didn’t realise we cared about.
- Face swapping is never not funny. Was that even just a Summer thing? Whatever, it also happened in the Summer.
What were your Summer highlights? Or lowlights, for that matter? Let us know by tweeting us at @Wonderush, and if you’re suddenly feeling the need to make a few more memories before Autumn takes hold don’t forget to check out Wonderush for awesome things to do.